Train & Snowmobiling Package
Combine roundtrip tickets on the historic D&SNG Railroad's Cascade Canyon Winter Train and a snowmobiling tour for a full-day, breathtaking and exciting adventure in the majestic San Juan Mountains!
- Ride the historic Durango Train to the Cascade Canyon and partially back.
- Depart from the D&SNG Train Depot and on your return you will get off at the Rockwood Station.
- At the Rockwood Station, snowmobile riders will be picked up by the Ice Pirates guides and taken to breathtaking Molas Pass for your snowmobile adventure.
- The snowmobile tour lasts about 2 hours as you explore the area with experience guides.
- Back at the Ice Pirates base camp, enjoy hot chocolate and snacks.
- Ice Pirates will then shuttle guests back to the D&SNG Railroad parking lot in downtown Durango, arriving about 6 pm.
Note: Choose single rider or double rider per snowmobile in advance.
- Enjoy your first night in Durango, enjoying fantastic dining, night life and shopping.
- Board the train at 9:15am the next morning to prepare for your 9:45am departure from the Durango Train Depot.
- Arrive at the Cascade Canyon Wye around 11:50am.
- Get off the train (optional), which stops alongside the Animas River, and where you can enjoy your lunch under the pavilion, around the fire pit. (You can bring your own lunch, pre-order a gourmet boxed lunch, or purchase light snack items and drinks on the train.)
- Board the train again at 12:45pm, arriving at the Rockwood Train Station around 1:45pm, where you will board your snowmobile tour shuttle.
- Arrive the Molas Pass Outpost around 2:30pm.
- Leave the Molas Pass Outpost via shuttle 5:15pm.
- Arrive Durango Train Parking Lot around 6:15pm
- Spend one more night in Durango, as an option, to make the most of your getaway!
(all scheduled times are approximate and may vary)
What to wear and bring:
The Cascade Canyon Winter Train will run in all weather conditions and offers heated, enclosed coaches. The train travels into the San Juan National Forest and will stop along the Animas River, where there is a covered pavilion with a fire pit. For snowmobiling, we highly recommend wearing layers, snow boots, and winter gear such as coats, hats, and gloves. With the high Colorado elevation, we also recommend sunglasses or goggles, and sunscreen. Ice Pirates does have some cold weather gear available at no extra charge.
Optional Discounted Package Additions:
- One or more days of discounted lodging. Select options from deluxe, moderate, or economical to suit your needs and budget.
- Other activities to your trip: discounted Purgatory lift tickets, a magical sleigh ride, a tour of Mesa Verde National Park, or a relaxing massage!
Items to note:
The Cascade Canyon Winter Train is available only on certain days in the winter and package availability follows that schedule. Select dates from December 9, 2017 through April 7, 2018.
Children under the age of 4 may not ride on the snowmobile. Children ages 4 and up must ride with an adult, unless they are at least 15 with a valid driver’s permit.
This trip is limited to 14 passengers. Maximum weight per person is 350 lbs.