It’s happened to many of us: you’re planning, plotting and dreaming the perfect vacation and then you remember, the DOG! What are you going to do with the dog?
Fortunately, you won’t have to fret over Fido when it comes to your Durango vacation. From dog-friendly accommodations to countless outdoor activities, there’s no shortage of pup-friendly adventures to be had in this small mountain town.
Here’s a sample dog-friendly Durango itinerary for your summer visit:
- Let us help you book accommodation at any one of Durango’s numerous dog-friendly hotels, with options for every budget and in multiple locations in and around town.
- Once you’re here and settled, grab some local coffee and head down to the Durango Dog Park – a 5-acre play pen that backs up to Smelter Mountain and the Animas River.
- From there, hop on the River Trail, where your dog is more than welcome, and head to historic downtown Durango. A number of shops (like Maria’s Bookshop or Pine Needle Mountaineering) will let well-behaved pets in, and some restaurants don’t mind if you and your pooch park it on the patio (they can’t, of course, let dogs inside due to health code restrictions)
- After lunch, head out for the afternoon to hike or ride any number of Durango’s 2,000 miles of nearby hiking trails. While dogs must be on a leash within Durango city limits, pups can run free (as long as they’re within sight and under voice control) at the Durango Dog Park, in the San Juan National Forest, and in the expansive Weminuche Wilderness. Intrigued by the wilderness option? Pick up at doggie backpack at Durango’s own Pet Haus and head into the Weminuche for a multi-day excursion.
- If you plan on riding Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, rafting on the Animas River, or exploring nearby Mesa Verde, you’ll want to find a pet-sitter. And, you’re in luck. Durango’s Healthy Hounds and Fat Cats will take good care of your pup, and even stay open later to accommodate the train schedule.
This is just a small sampling of the many ways to play with your pup in Durango. If you have any qualms about bringing your dog along, give us a call – we’re happy to help you navigate the logistics so that you, and your pup, have exactly the getaway you’re looking for.