This package cannot be booked online. For assistance planning and reserving this layover package, speak with one of our local travel consultants today by calling 800.828.4228
For a customized layover package quote, fill out a quote request form by clicking here.
- 3 nights lodging (1st night in Durango, 2nd night in Silverton, 3rd night in Durango
- Train tickets for the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad
- Free admission to the Durango and Silverton Railroad Museum (in the Durango rail yard)
Your first night, you’ll stay at your choice of select Durango lodging options. Take in the cool summer evenings and the historic charm of Durango and enjoy one of our world-class restaurants or even a fun and entertaining evening at the Bar D Chuckwagon Suppers and Old West Cowboy Music Show.
The next morning you’ll ride the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, which winds through the spectacular and breathtaking canyons in the remote wilderness of the two-million-acre San Juan National Forest. You will relive history with the sights and sounds of yesteryear on this 1882 adventure from Durango to Silverton, Colorado. The coal-fired, steam-operated locomotives are maintained in their original 1923-1925 vintage condition.
In Silverton, you will stay in a historic property. During your time there, consider adding a tour of the Old Hundred Gold Mine, a UTV (side-by-side) rental, or a high-country 4×4 tour. The historic mining town of Silverton offers breathtaking mountain scenery, many restaurants, and quaint shops to browse.
You will board the train again in Silverton the following afternoon to return to Durango. You’ll arrive early evening in time to enjoy a fabulous dinner and a little entertainment in town for your final night in historic Durango!
What to wear and bring:
- An overnight bag for your stay in Silverton
- Comfortable walking shoes, light jacket, hat
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, and camera
Optional Discounted Add-Ons:
- Extra nights lodging
- Train seating upgrade to Deluxe, First-Class, or Presidential
- Silverton Activities: Old Hundred Mine Tour, Jeep Tours, ATV Tours, UTV Rentals
- Durango activities: Bar D Chuckwagon, Rafting, Mesa Verde National Park, Horseback riding, Zip Lining, Jeep Tours, Massage
Items to note:
Train tickets for children under 5 are free if seated on an adult’s lap. If your child requires a seat, a ticket must be purchased.
Silverton is over 9,300 feet in elevation and can be about 10 degrees cooler than Durango. Be sure to bring appropriate clothing, depending on weather conditions.