Silverton to Durango Layover Train Package
Enjoy two of the most distinctive, historical communities in Southwest Colorado with this unique two-night package. Spend your first night in historic Silverton, Colorado. The next afternoon, get ready for a unique adventure aboard the famous Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, taking you for your one-night stay in Durango, Colorado. Enjoy your evening exploring the historic downtown, where you can shop, gallery hop, listen to live music, and enjoy first-class dining. The next morning, you will once again board the train to head back to Silverton.
Day One: Your first night, you’ll stay at your choice of select historic Silverton lodging options. Take in the cool summer evenings and the historic charm of Silverton. The historic mining town of Silverton offers breathtaking mountain scenery, many restaurants, and quaint shops to browse.
Day Two: After breakfast, you will have time to enjoy a guided jeep tour or rent an off-road vehicle to explore the surrounding areas of Silverton.
In the afternoon, you will relive history with the sights and sounds of yesteryear on this 1882 adventure from Silverton to Durango, as you ride the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad to Durango. The coal-fired, steam-operated locomotives are maintained in their original 1923-1925 vintage condition. Take in the spectacular and breathtaking canyons in the remote wilderness of the two million acre San Juan National Forest. Upon your arrival in Durango in early evening, enjoy one of the many world-class restaurants in historic downtown.
You will spend the night in Durango at your choice of select hotels, all of which are walking distance from the train station and historic downtown Durango, where all the action is!
Day Three: In the morning, enjoy an early breakfast and prepare to board the train again for your return trip to Silverton. You will arrive early afternoon in time to enjoy lunch in town on your own before heading to your next destination or spending another night in Silverton.
- 2 nights lodging (1st night in Silverton, 2nd night in Durango)
- Train tickets for the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad
- Free admission to the Durango and Silverton Railroad Museum
What to wear and bring:
- An overnight bag for your stay in Durango
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Outer layers to prepare for possible cooler mornings and nights
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, hat
- Water bottle (stay hydrated in higher elevations)
Optional Discounted Package Add-Ons:
- Extra nights lodging in Durango and /or Silverton
- Train upgrade to Deluxe, First-Class, or Presidential seating
- Motor Coach Bus Upgrades on one leg of your historic train journey (taking the bus back to Silverton to give you more time in Durango)
- Silverton Activities: Old Hundred Mine Tour, Jeep and 4×4 Tours, ATV / UTV Tours, Jeep / ATV / UTV Rentals
Items to note:
- Train tickets for children under 4 are free if seated on an adult’s lap. If your child requires a seat, you must purchase a child’s ticket.
- This package can be customized to included extra nights in either Silverton or Durango and additional discounted activities in both towns too.