Durango Winter Train & Lodging Package
Experience the snow-covered San Juan Mountains and spectacular high-country views aboard the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad's Cascade Canyon Winter Train. Combine your lodging and train tickets for discounts and a great vacation package.
- Lodging in Durango: choose from budget, moderate and deluxe accommodations
- Round-trip tickets on the beautiful Cascade Canyon Winter Train
This breathtaking getaway offers value and convenience by combining your lodging in the “Old West” town of Durango with round trip tickets on the historic Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, on its winter voyage to Cascade Canyon.
You will stay at your choice of lodging in Durango, Colorado. The next morning you will ride the Durango and Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, which winds through the spectacular and breathtaking canyons in the remote wilderness of the two-million acre San Juan National Forest. You will relive history with the sights and sounds of yesteryear on this 1882 adventure from Durango to Cascade Canyon and back. The coal-fired, steam-operated locomotives are maintained in their original 1923-1925 vintage condition. In Durango, take time to enjoy the Railroad Museum, located in the rail yard roundhouse, featuring full-size locomotives, maps, photos, artwork, memorabilia, and authentic collectibles.
- Enjoy your first night in Durango, enjoying fantastic dining, night life and shopping in historic downtown.
- Board the train at 9:15am the next morning. The train departs Durango at 9:45am for Cascade Canyon.
- Arrive at the Cascade Canyon Wye around 11:50am.
- Get off the train (optional), which stops alongside the Animas River, and where you can enjoy your lunch under the pavilion, around the fire pit. (You can bring your own lunch, pre-order a gourmet boxed lunch, or purchase light snack items and drinks on the train.)
- Board the train again at 12:45pm, arriving back at the Durango Train Station at 2:45pm.
- Downtown shopping and dinner on your own at one of Durango’s many fantastic restaurants.
- Spend one more night in Durango, as an option, to fit in more fun things to do and make the most of your getaway!
What to wear and bring:
The Cascade Canyon Winter Train will run in all weather conditions and offers heated, enclosed coaches. Since you have the opportunity to get off the train in the San Juan National Forest along the Animas River, we highly recommend wearing layers, warm shoes/boots, and bringing winter gear such as coats, hats, and gloves. With the high Colorado elevation, we also recommend sunglasses and sunscreen.
Optional Package Ad-ons:
- Stay an extra night or two.
- Upgrade to a deluxe or first-class train car.
- Add other discounted activities to your trip: discounted Purgatory lift tickets, a magical sleigh ride, an exciting snowmobile adventure, a tour of Mesa Verde National Park, or a relaxing massage.
Items to note:
The Cascade Canyon Winter Train ride is available only on certain days in the winter and package availability follows that schedule.
Children under 4 may ride the train for FREE if seated on an adult’s lap. If a seat is required for the child, a ticket must be purchased.